Yoga for Posture (Weekend Immersion Workshop)
274 S Main St
Waynesville, NC 28786
Yoga for Better Posture
This immersion workshop acknowledges that it is truly all connected when it comes to proper posture and the spine! A misalignment in one part of the spine affects the position and proper function of the whole spine. There is usually a ripple effect in the entire spine, in fact, and it is often hard to tell where it started and what needs to be addressed first.
In this weekend workshop, we will discuss the optimal alignment of each part of the spine and how common daily activities can start to cause major stress and pain in a variety of ways.
Learn how to protect the spine in a yoga class and common ways the misalignments can show up in a variety of postures. As we know, if it shows up in one pose, chances are it shows up in most poses. We will also explore simple and effective cues and suggestions to help your students “feel” and “sense” that proper alignment and “joint stacking” so they have the internal knowledge and muscle memory of how to re-create that proper posture in and out of a yoga class!
Trainees will learn:
- the importance of the spine and its alignment as it relates to yoga
- different postures that support proper alignment of the spine as well as helpful cues to utilize during a yoga class
- when and how to use props and/or modifications to facilitate joint stacking
- common contraindicators that may be present for yoga students as well as how they may show up physically during a practice
- to write and teach yoga sequences and yoga asanas in a way that best supports the posture of the back and joint stacking
- how and when to incorporate props and/or modifications during a yoga class to support any contraindicators related to the back as well as mitigate discomfort during the class and how to cue in such a way that supports the natural curvature of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar parts of the spine
- the structure of the spine and how the natural curves support its proper function and movement and how different yoga postures can help keep the spine aligned and stable
- the skeletal structure of the spine and body with focus common misalignments and how they can cause stress and how that affects bones themselves
This workshop will be taught by Jay MacDonald and Leigh-Ann Renz. To learn more about them, click here.
Fridays 6 – 9 PM Saturdays 9 AM – 6 PM (with a one hour lunch break) Sundays: 9 AM – 1 PM
- Suggested: 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot: Esther Gokhale, Susan Adams
- Suggested: Back Care Basics by Mary Pullig Schatz
- Suggested: Alignment matters by Katy Bowman
- Suggested: Awakening the Spine by Vanda Scaravelli
Anyone is welcome to take these immersions a la carte, without enrolling in the 300/500 YTT program. Gain knowledge, deepen your practice, and attend only what interests you! You may register for this weekend workshop below without the application or administrative fees.
However, if you want this workshop to count for CEs and/or towards a 300/500 hour RYT with Yoga Alliance, you need to be enrolled in our program. Click here to confirm your status – or contact us for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org // 828.246.6570