Real Yoga for Real Bodies
Have you ever felt like you have to be skinny to practice yoga? Or that you have to be wearing $100 leggings or carrying an expensive yoga mat to come into class?
Maybe you feel like you have to practice at home first in order to be “good enough” to come into a yoga studio?
We’ve heard all of these sentiments from students since we opened over a year ago, and the sad part is: a lot of people feel this way!
Unfortunately, yoga in the US has often times been mis-represented. What we see in the media associated with yoga is most often thin, white, rich women (and sometimes men) contorted into impossible, painful-looking poses.
Too often, real bodies, real people, people of color, gender diversity and a variety of yoga skill levels have been underrepresented. And the reality is: a lot of people who could really use yoga and benefit from it may not have had access to it, for a variety of reasons. Thankfully, this is beginning to change – and we want to help lead that change!
In an effort to help our community (and the broader world) understand that yoga is for everybody (and every. body.), we’re launching Real Yoga for Real Bodies (RYRB) in 2019! You’ll see videos, images, events and more from us, confirming that yoga is for you, and anyone else who wants to practice.
We hope you’ll join us in claiming your right to Yoga, starting with our Instagram challenge, January 7 – January 13:
1. follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/waynesvilleyogacenter/
2. starting Monday, January 7th, watch for our RYRB posts
3. Jan 7 – 13, create a post of your own, including the question we post, and your answer
4. include the following hashtags: #wycrocks #realyogaforbodies #waynesvilleyogacenter #RYRB #keepinitreal
5. if you participate for all 7 days, you’ll automatically be entered to win 1 free month of unlimited yoga!
Keep an eye out for other RYRB events – and our new RYRB t-shirts, perfect for getting active and practicing yoga in the new year!